protecting our environment

online payment

View online paymenthide online payment
online payment Make a One-Time Sewer Payment
To Make a Payment

    Payments may be made online with major credit/debit cards and eChecks through AndroGov.

    Please contact the office with any questions at: (207) 729-0148 ext 0 or

    Or continue with making a payment by clicking   

    To view complete instructions Click Here

    To view Brunswick Sewer District Website Privacy and Security Notice click here

direct payment

View Direct Paymenthide direct payment
direct payment Setup Direct Payment Service

    We are pleased to offer you a new service: The Direct Payment Plan. Now you can have your payment deducted automatically from your checking or savings account. And, you won't have to change your present banking relationship to take advantage of this service.

    Your payment will be made automatically on the specified day that is identified on your bill.

    The Direct Payment Plan is dependable, flexible, convenient and easy. To take advantage of this service, print out the authorization form on the next page, complete the form, and return it to us.

    Mark the box before the type of account to indicate whether your payment will be deducted from your checking or savings account.
    Fill in your financial institution's name, location and routing number.
    Fill in your account number.
    Attach a voided check if the payments are to be deducted from your checking account.
    Be sure to sign the form.

    Once we receive your completed authorization form and update our billing system with the information, the direct payment will be activated with your next quarterly bill. Watch your next sewer bill for a statement indicating automatic payment was implemented.

    Please remember to notify us when you change your bank or bank account.

    If you have any questions, please give us at (207) 729-0148. Once the automatic attendant answers the phone, please dial extension 110.

    Please click here to view and or print direct pay instructions and click here to view and or print the Direct Payment Setup Form.


View Permitshide permits
permits Obtain a Permit
    Applications for permit to connect to District Facilities are reviewed and administered as:
  • permit to connect to existing sanitary sewers
  • Sanitary Sewer Connections to Existing System
    A permit to connect to existing District sewers is issued in response to the filing with the District of a written application. See Entrance Charge Program
    The application will include a written construction plan of the manner by which the connection to District facilities will be accomplished.
    A permit will be issued only for connection to a completed sewer that is owned by the District.
    Application for permit to connect to an existing District sewer is subject to assessment of an entrance charge and a participation recovery charge.
Sanitary Sewer Extensions of Existing System.
    A permit to extend existing District sewers is issued in response to the filing with the District of a written application.
    The application will include a written construction plan of the manner by which the extension will be accomplished.
    A permit will be issued only for connection to a completed sewer that is owned by the District.
    Application for permit to extend is subject to assessment of an entrance charge and a participation recovery charge.
    A permit to extend will be issued only to the applicant proposing to extend, and only for the applicant's use (i.e. the permit is not transferable).
    A permit to extend will not be issued for an extension that is currently the subject of an earlier and still-active application.

    For additional information, call the Assistant General Manager at 1-207-729-0148 between the hours of 7:00 am and 5:00 pm EST.

frequent questions

View questionshide questions
frequent questions Frequently Asked Questions
    Who can I call at night, weekends or holidays if I have a sewer problem or see a sewer problem?

    The same number is used 24 hours per day. Please call (207) 729-0148 and press 4 to report any problems with service.

    When I drive by the District’s pump station a flashing light is on or a horn is sounding. What does this mean?

    When you encounter a flashing light or horn alarm sounding at one of our pump stations please call (207) 729-0148 and press 4. Our pumps stations are identified with a blue and white sign noting the station name, several emergency numbers and the owner (Brunswick Sewer District). Please do not assume someone else has called us already. With your cooperation and early involvement, we can lessen or even avoid an overflow or emergency situation.

    What causes sewer odors inside the house/building?

    Sewer has a natural tendency to produce odors; all sewers have odors. The plumbing system in your home is designed to prevent these odors from entering the house by using a vapor trap. If you are experiencing odors, you may have problems with the trap, a broken lateral or collapsed sewer main. If you are experiencing odors, please call the District at pager (207) 580-3175 so we may assess the situation. Once we determine the problem, you will be notified if you need to call a plumber.

    Sewage is backing up into my house overflowing from my drains. What can I do about it?

    If these problems occur and you are not using any water, there may be a problem with the District's main line. Call (207) 729-0148 and press 4 to request service. If you are using your household water, turn it off. If the overflowing wastewater stops after turning off the water, you likely have a problem with your private sewer lateral and you probably need to call a plumber. Call the District before you call a plumber.

    I have a slow drainage through my toilets and drains. What can I do about it?

    Check to see if your neighbors are having a similar problem. Call the District at (207) 729-0148 and press 4, and we will check the District's main lines. A member of the District staff will notify you on what the problem is. If the District has no problems with its lines, you will need to call a plumber to clean or fix your private sewer lateral line.

    What can I safely pour down the sink or into the toilet?

    Before you think about what you can throw away, think about what you are buying. Buy environmentally friendly products whenever possible and only buy the quantity that you need. Call us at (207) 729-0148 to ask if the product or material in question is dangerous to discharge to the sewer. Do not discharge flammable materials or toxic or poisonous solids, liquids or gases to the sewers. These materials would include gasoline, benzene, naphtha, fuel oil, paint solvents, chemicals including prescription and non-prescription drugs and solid or viscous substances that would obstruct the flow and interfere with the treatment process. See the District’s Rules and Regulations for further clarification.

    Can I dispose of "wipes" in the toilet?

    No, while the manufactures claim the wipes are disposable, the wipes do not fall apart or disintegrate like tissue paper. The wipes stay intact and will clog our wastewater pumps and cause them to fail.

    When I drive over a manhole cover it rattles. Who do i call?

    Call the main office at (207) 729-0148 and leave a message. We'll take care of it the next business day. If it is a safety emergency, please leave a message on the District pager (follow the prompts).

    What are the Sewer District trucks doing in my street?

    The Brunswick Sewer District’s Collection Division has implemented a preventative maintenance program of sewer cleaning and closed circuit television inspection of the entire sewer system. The periodic cleaning and televising of the sewer lines in your neighborhood greatly reduce the risk of any grease buildup and/or overflows.

    Where does the Brunswick Sewer District’s responsibility begin and end with respect to wastewater utilities?

    The District is responsible for all sewer main lines, pump stations and outfalls located within right of ways and easements. Maintenance of customer service lines (laterals) that are extended to the main lines is the responsibility of the owners/customers. For further clarification of the property owner’s responsibility, please see the Policy on Maintenance and Repair of Wastewater Service Pipe

    What is a sewer service lateral?

    The service lateral is constructed by private owners for private use of their property. It is a privately owned and maintained sewer pipe that connects a building to the public sewer main line.

    What is a sanitary sewer system?

    A sanitary sewer system is designed to transport wastewater from sanitary fixtures, such as toilets, sinks, bathtubs, showers inside your house or place of business to the treatment plant. The sanitary sewer system consists of publically owned pipes, force mains, gravity lines, maintenance holes, pump stations, and the treatment plant.

    What is an outfall sewer?

    An outfall sewer receives wastewater from a collection system or from a wastewater treatment plant and carries it to a point of ultimate or final discharge in the environment. The District's final discharge is to the Androscoggin River.

    What is a storm or catch basin?

    A storm or catch basin is a pipe, conduit or open channel that carries runoff from storms, surface drainage, and street wash. Storm or catch basins do not convey domestic or commercial wastes. In the town of Brunswick, the Public Works Department (207-725-6654) is responsible for the storm or catch basins that are situated on public roads or public property. For the most part, catch basins are not connected to the sanitary sewer system.

    What happens during a rain event when there's more water than normal flowing to the treatment plant?

    For the most part and by design, the wastewater collection system (sewer) is separated from the storm drainage system. The majority of the storm water does not flow through the wastewater treatment plant. Instead, it flows directly into creeks, streams and even into the Androscoggin River itself. However, due to unintended processes known as "Infiltration and Inflow (I & I)", excess water can enter the sewer system and ultimately the treatment plant.

    nfiltration occurs when groundwater enters the sewer system through crack, holes, faulty connections, or other openings. Inflow occurs when surface water, including storm water enters the sewer system through roof downspout connections, catch basins, holes in maintenance covers, illegal plumbing connections, or other defects.

    The sanitary sewer system and treatment plant have a maximum flow capacity of wastewater that can be contained and treated. I & I, which is essentially clean water, takes up the capacity and can result in sewer overflows and unnecessary costs for treatment of this water. It can even lead to unnecessary expansion of the treatment plant to handle the flow. These costs get passed on to the ratepayer.

    I just moved into a home or apartment or opened a business in a building that is connected to the sewer. What do I do?

    To open a new sewer account where sewer services already exist and the property is connected to public water, please call the Brunswick-Topsham Water District at (207) 729-9956 to set up an account. The water district will forward all the information to us so we can establish an account in your name.

    To open a new sewer account where sewer services already exist and the property derives its portable water from an un-metered source (private well), please call us at (207) 729-0148 x110 to set up an account.

    I'm building a new residential home or new commercial building. How do I connect to the sewer?

    You or your general contractor should contact the sewer district at (207)729-0148 to discuss your connection. Once an Entrance Charge application is completed and the necessary fee paid, a permit will be issued. See the Entrance Charge Program Policy for more details.

    Does the sewer district have a recreational vehicle (RV) waste disposal site?

    The District's Treatment Plant, located at 8 Pine Tree Road, has a receiving area where owners of RVs and campers can discharge gray water. A $16.65 fee, payable at the Administration Office which is located next door to the plant, is charged for this service. The facility is open from 7:00 am until 4:00 pm, Monday through Thursday. The facility is not open on holidays.

    Can I get an adjustment for outside watering?

    The District has established a Sewer Use Adjustment Policy to provide a means by which an adjustment to the amount billed for wastewater disposal services may be made when the use of water is not returned to the public sewer. Please see that policy for further information. To request an adjustment, please call (207) 729-0148 x110 prior to the end of the current billing period for which the adjustment is being requested.

    Where can I pay my sewer bill?

    The District mails bills four times a year to its residential account holders and most of the commercial account holders. Payment is due thirty days after the bill is issued. The payment can be mailed to or presented in person at 10 Pine Tree Road, Brunswick, ME 04011. The District office is open from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Thursday. The office is closed on Fridays, weekends, and holidays. For your convenience, the District has an after-hours drop box located at the District office. Please do not put cash into the after-hours drop box. Additionally, you can also sign up for the District's Direct Payment Plan and have your payment deducted automatically from your checking or savings account or payments may be made online. Click Here for Payment Options

    What can I do when I can't pay my sewer bill?

    If you have trouble paying your bill, a payment plan can be arranged by calling (207) 729-0148 x118.

    I have been notified that there is a lien on my property. What does that mean and how do I have it removed?

    This means your sewer account is at least 6 months delinquent. It's important to contact the District so we can assist you in getting your account current which will allow us to release the lien. If lien notices are ignored and payments continue to be delinquent then foreclosure proceeding could begin. We encourage you to contact us by calling (207) 729-0148 x118 as soon as possible so we may provide some assistance.